Advice for off piste & ski touring
Preparation, equipment and safety
Do you dream about going up to explore untouched powder after a large dump of snow? If so, here are some tips and advice.
- Do not go out alone - have a mountain professional with you
- Make sure you have the appropriate off-piste safety equipment with you (transceiver, shovel and probe as a minimum, also an ABS bag, freeride or ski touring skis, skins for your skis, etc)
- A helmet is strongly recommended
- An off piste outing may be cancelled due to weather conditions, snow conditions or avalanche risk
- Off piste safety equipment is available to borrow from ESF if you book a group off piste outing